§ Mr. Benton
To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills (1) how much public funding was spent per pupil in Bootle in each of the last seven years; 
(2) how much public funding was spent per pupil in Bootle in each of the last seven years. 
§ Mr. Miliband
The information requested is submitted to the Department according to local education authority areas rather than districts within an area. Bootle is a district of Sefton local education authority. The information for Sefton LEA is as follows:
Net Current Expenditure per pupil Pre-Primary Education Primary Education Pre-primary and Primary Secondary Education Special 1996–97 n/a n/a 1,880 2,640 19,520 1997–98 n/a n/a 1,890 2,630 20,190 1998–99 n/a n/a 2,010 2,690 19,950 1999–2000 4,690 2,170 2,180 2,780 23,920 2000–01 16,780 2,330 2,410 3,010 26,120 2001–02 30,560 2,570 2,740 3,430 27,410 2002–03 2,840 3,640
1. The financial data are taken from Sefton LEAs' Section 52 Outturn Statement submitted to the DfES from 1999–2000 onwards and the ODPM's RO1 statement previously. Expenditure was not distinguished between pre-primary and primary sectors until the inception of the Section 52 outturn statement in 1999–2000. 1999–2000 figures reflect the return of GM schools to local authority maintenance.
2. The outturn 2002–03 tables captured the data in a fundamentally different way to the previous years. Categories were aligned with the Consistent Financial Reporting framework and the spending by LEAs was no longer split by school sector. Consequently the unit costs per pupil in 2002–03 are not strictly comparable with earlier years as they include an apportionment of LEA expenditure based on pupil numbers. 2002–03 data is subject to change by the LEA. Figures are rounded to the nearest 10.
3. Net current expenditure (NCE) includes expenditure within schools and also that incurred centrally by the LEA.906W
4. The NCE per pupil figures for pre-primary and primary relate the net current expenditure (after recharges) in the pre-primary sector maintained primary schools to the total number of financial year and pupils who are educated in the maintained nursery and primary schools sector.
5. The NCE per pupil figures for secondary relate the net current expenditure (after recharges) in maintained secondary schools to the total number of financial year pupils who are educated in the maintained secondary schools sector.
6. The NCE per pupil figures for special schools relate the net current expenditure (after recharges) in maintained special schools to the total number of financial year pupils who are educated in the maintained special schools sector.
7. Pupil data are drawn from the Annual Schools Census adjusted to be on a financial year basis.