§ Mr. Miliband
The tables below show the Department's total recurrent and capital funding, in addition to the education Standard Spending Assessment, for the financial years 1999–2000 to 2001–02 for each local education authority, broken down between funding that goes directly to maintained schools via LEAs, and funding for LEAs' central expenditure.
Funding direct to schools via LEAs are comprised of the following grants:
- Standards Fund (devolved to schools)
- School Standards Grant
- School Budget Support Grant
- Education Budget Support Grant
- Capital Grants (Devolved Formula Capital) Grant Maintained Transitional Grant: Insurance
- Funding for LEAs are comprised of the following grants (for the benefit of schools)
- Standards Fund (LEA central expenditure)
- Nursery Education Grant
- Childcare Grant
- Education Maintenance Allowances
- Capital Grants (including formulaic funding to VA Schools allocated at LEA level)
- Grant Maintained Transitional Grant
Funding for Education Action Zones (EAZs) is not included. This funding does not go directly to schools or to LEAs; it is paid to EAZs for use to run programmes to achieve pre-agreed targets and objectives in zone schools. EAZs are independent bodies which are exempt charities, set up in accordance with the Schools Standards and Framework Act 1998. In addition the Department provides special grant funding to fully meet the extra costs associated with teachers crossing the threshold (moving to the upper pay scale). Additional funding has provided a contribution to the costs of awarding performance points 102W to those on the leadership scale and Advanced Skills Teachers. The Department is unable to provide a breakdown by LEA of this funding without incurring disproportionate cost and time. The national amount since 1999–2000 is £756 million.