§ Richard Younger-Ross
To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry what has been the total expenditure of his Department on IT systems and support in each year from May 1997 to date; how many IT contracts have been let in each of those years; of the other main contracting party in each of those contracts, how many have been(a) companies whose registered office is in (i) England and Wales, (ii) Scotland and (iii) Northern Ireland and (b) foreign companies; and what are the names of the companies falling within category (a). 
§ Ms Hewitt
The information requested by the hon. Gentleman that is readily available from central records is as follows.
SAS, Secure, Sequent, Sight and Sound, Silicon Graphics, Spectrum, Stellar, Ultima, Wang, XANSA, Zeh Graphics.
Contracting parties in the 1999–2000 financial year:65WCap Gemini, Computacenter, Getronics, HR Planning Software, International Computers Ltd., Insight Consulting; Macwarehouse, Oracle, Parity Resources, Parity Systems, QCC, SMC, Yale Consulting.
Contracting parties in the 2000–01 financial year:AbilityNet, Action, ASE Consulting, Cap Gemini, Cathedral Consortium, Compuserve, Computacenter, Drake, E.cognition, Elan, Glensound, IBM, International Computers Ltd., I-CD Publishing, Infologistix, KPMG, Osmond, PVS, RNIB, SCC, Schlumberger Sema, Site Reports, The Accountant, Visionary Systems, Xansa, Yale Consulting.
Contracting parties in the 2001–02 financial year:AbilityNet, Cap Gemini Ernst & Young, Cathedral Consortium, CMG Admiral, Computacenter, I-CD Publishing, Insight Consulting, International Computers Ltd., Line Management, KPMG, Method Applications, Oracle, Parity Resources, Posturite, Pulse Data, RNIB, Rock, SCC, Telesensory, The Speech Centre, Yale Consulting, Vogon International.
- 1. Readily available electronic records are not available for years before 1998–99 and the information for 1997–98 could be extracted from manual records only at disproportionate cost.
- 2. Only contracts valued at over £1,000 are included.
- 3. Information has only been provided for IT contracts let by the DTI's central IT procurement unit. Information about locally let contracts is not available from central records and could be provided only at disproportionate cost.
- 4. Information supplied is for the core Department and excludes IT contracts let by the DTI's agencies.
- 5. IT systems and support has been widely interpreted to include the purchase of IT equipment and related services.