§ Mr. Bercow
To ask the Secretary of State for Health how many people have been diagnosed with tuberculosis in the Buckingham constituency in each year since 1990. 182W
§ Ms Blears
Information on statutory notifications of tuberculosis (excluding chemoprophylaxis) is available from the Public Health Laboratory Service.
The Department collects information on tuberculosis as part of the hospital episode statistics (HES) system, which contains details of patients admitted to and treated in national health service hospitals in England. The numbers of patients in Buckinghamshire health authority are shown in the table.
Number 1990–91 24 1991–92 44 1992–93 51 1993–94 34 1994–95 27 1995–96 21 1996–97 21 1997–98 20 1998–99 21 1999–2000 33 2000–01 26
1. A finished consultant episode is defined as a period of patient care under one consultant in one health care provider.
2. The figures do not represent the number of patients, as one person may have several episodes within a year.
3. The main diagnosis is the first of seven diagnosis field in the HES data set, and provides the main reason why the patient was in hospital.
4. The table uses ICD9 codes: 010–018 (1990–91 to 1994–95) and ICD10 codes A15–A19 (1995–96 to 2000–01).
5. Data in this table are grossed for both coverage and unknown/invalid clinical data, except for 1998–99 to 2000–01 which are ungrossed.
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) Department of Health