§ Mr. Loughton
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions if he will list the(a) reviews, (b) public inquiries and (c) commissions of inquiry announced by his Department since May 1997. 
§ Ms Beverley Hughes
[holding answer 17 March 2000]:The information for reviews and inquiries is as follows. My Department has announced no commissions of inquiry since May 1997.
- Bus Review.
- Competition in the Water Industry in England and Wales.
- Comprehensive Spending Review of Housing.
- Financial Management and Policy Review of the Audit Commission.
- Financial Management and Policy Review on the Darwin Advisory Committee.
- Finance Management and Policy Review of the Housing Corporation.
- Financial Management and Policy Review of the Rent Assessment Panels.
- Financial Management and Policy Review for the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution.
- Financial Management and Policy Review of the UK Ecolabelling Board.
- Fundamental Review of the Laws and Procedures relating to Compulsory Purchase and Compensation.
- Housing Fitness Standard Review Steering Group.
- Inter-departmental Review of Fuel Poverty.
- Marine Nature Conservation Review Group.
- Next Steps Review of the Highways Agency.
- Opencast Coal: Review of Planning Policy.
- The Provision of New Drains and Sewers in England and Wales.
- Review of Bird Registration procedures under Section 7 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
- Review of Business Rates Revaluation.
- Review of Compulsory Competitive Tendering in Local Government.
- Review of Controls over Demolition in the light of the `Shimizu' judgment.
- Review of Criminal Prosecutions and Sanctions for Pollution of the Sea following Marine Accidents.
- Review of the Environmental Action Fund.
- Review of Expert Panel on Air Quality Standards.
- Review of Fees and Charges for Bird Registration and CITES Wildlife Trade Applications.
- Review of the 5-Year Strategy for HM Coastguard.
- Review of Global Wildlife Division's panel of part-time Wildlife Inspectors.
- Review of the Hedgerows Regulations 1997.
- Review of Heritage Notifications.
- Review of the House buying and selling process.
- Review of Implementation of 1995 guidance on signing for tourist attractions and facilities in England.
- Review of the implementation of Part IIA of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (contaminated land).
- Review of the Index of Local Deprivation.
- Review of Legislation relating to integration within the Environment Agency and Scottish Environment Protection Agency.
- Review of Marine Nature Conservation.
- Review of the Missions to search for the fishing vessel 'Gaul' lost in 1974 and identification of bodies washed ashore along the coast of Russia.
- Review of the National Contingency Plan for Marine Pollution from Shipping and Offshore Installations.
- Review of the Pilotage Act.
- Review of Policy on Chemicals in the Environment.
- Review of policy within the OSPAR Commission for the protection of the marine environment of the NE Atlantic on hazardous substances, radioactive substances, nutrients and marine biodiversity. (Outcome announced in a PQ in September 1997).
- Review of the Noise Act.
- Review of Policy on International Access to Regional Airports.
- Review of Political Restrictions on Local Government Officers.
- Review of procedures for statutory and non-statutory consultation on planning applications.
- Review of Railtrack's Safety and Standards Directorate.
- Review of Rolling Stock Leasing Market.
- Review of Salvage and Intervention and their Command Control.
- Review of the Secretary of State's standards of modern zoo practice.
- Review of Single Vehicle Approval.
- Review of Speed Policy.
- Review of Trust Ports.
- Review of the Water Abstraction Licensing System in England and Wales.
- Review of the Water Charging System.
- Review of UK National Air Quality Strategy (NAQS).
- Revenue Grant Distribution Review Group.
- Local Government Capital Finance Review.
- Roads Review (published as 'A New Deal for Trunk Roads England')
- Transport Safety Review.
- Inquiry into rolling stocks.
- Inquiry into Safety on the River Thames.
- Inquiry into South Hampshire Rapid Transit Project.
- Inquiry into Merseyside Rapid Transit Project
- Inquiry into Gaul tragedy.
- Inquiry into Paddington rail crash directed by Health and Safety Commission.
- Inquiry into Marchioness tragedy.
- Bournemouth—Swanage Ferry tolls public inquiry June 1997.
- Inquiry into Southall train crash directed by Health and Safety Commission.