HC Deb 28 October 1998 vol 318 cc166-7W
Mr. Laurence Robertson

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions what grants from his Department are available for the providers of rural mobile shops; and if he will make a statement. [56556]

Mr. Meale

The Department does not provide grants for rural mobile or permanent shops (although there may be scope for such funding within part of a wider regeneration scheme funded through the Single Regeneration Budget). The Government's agency, the Rural Development Commission, can provide grants for rural mobile shops, particularly where a fixed shop is not viable. However, the Commission's priority is to support fixed shops which, in general, provide a more complete service for the community.

Forward to