§ Mr. David Marshall
To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland how much money from public funds has been allocated to Prestwick Airport since BAA sold it in 1992. 
§ Mr. McLeish
[holding answer 19 May 1998]: The following amounts have been allocated to Prestwick Airport from public funds since 1992:
- Enterprise Ayrshire
- £974,000: environmental improvements to airport surrounds/car parks (includes money for works which were not of direct benefit to the operation of the airport itself);
- £426,000: contribution to link between railway station and airport; and
- £97,000: contribution to freight development activity including consultancy/market feasibility studies.
- Approval has also been given for funding of up to £1.5 million in relation to the development of airfreight facilities. No sum has yet been paid.
- Strathclyde Passenger Transport/Strathclyde Regional Council
- £500,000: contribution to railway station.
- European Regional Development Fund
- £367,033: contribution to railway station; and
- £63,260: contribution to airport approach radar.
- Regional Selective Assistance
- £240,000: contribution by October 1994 to acquisition and operation of Prestwick Airport.
- Other assistance
- Other local authority assistance was provided in the form of loans/shares. These have all been repaid/redeemed for the same amount.