§ Mr. Mandelson
Membership of the competitiveness working party on maximising competitiveness in Europe, chaired by Lord Simon of Highbury, is as follows:
- Peter Agar, Deputy Director-General, Confederation of British Industry
- Keith Bogg, Divisional Director, Marks & Spencer plc
- Sir John Carter, Chief Executive, Commercial Union plc
- C. K. Chow, Chief Executive, GKN plc
- Iain Evans, Chairman, The LEK Partnership
- Donald Hepburn, Senior Business Economist, Unilever plc
- John Langston, Chief Executive Officer—Automotive, TI Group plc
- Peter Lehmann, Commercial Director, Centrica plc
- Christopher King, Chairman, Avon Rubber plc
- Henry Manisty, Head of Government and Regulatory Affairs, Reuters Ltd.
- Keith McCullagh, Chief Executive Officer, British Biotech plc
- John Mellon, Director, Reed Elsevier plc.
The group last met on 22 April and the agenda comprised four topics: the development of the future White Paper on competitiveness; the current Government campaign to prepare business for the introduction of a single currency in Europe; the Social Chapter and European employment legislation; and standards and mutual recognition within the European Single Market.
A date has not yet been fixed for the meeting of the group.
§ Mr. Mandelson
The Competitiveness Working Party on enhancing business performance through developing individuals last met under the chairmanship of the Minister of State, my hon. Friend the Member for Makerfield (Mr. McCartney) on 10 March to discuss employability and the first draft of the report to the Secretary of State. No further meetings are currently planned. The current membership of the Working Party is:
- Brendan Barber, Deputy General Secretary, Trades Union Congress
- Bruce Collings, General Manager, Ethicon Endo-Surgery Ltd.
- David Compston, Managing Director, Allott & Lomax
- Jeremy Crook, Chief Executive, Black Training and Enterprise Group
- Jeannie Drake, Deputy General Secretary, Communication Workers Union
- Anthony Dubbins, General Secretary, GMPU
- John Edmonds, General Secretary, GMB
- Professor Alan Gibb, Chairman, Small Business Centre, Durham University Business School
- Allan Johnston, Personnel Director, British Steel plc
- Mike Kinski, Chief Executive, Stagecoach Holdings
- Anne Minto, Director—Human Resources, Smiths Industries
- Tony Morgan, Managing Director, Industrial Society
- Stephen Moss, Chairman, Springboard
- John Oliver, Chief Executive, Leyland Trucks Ltd.
- Bryan Sanderson, Managing Director, The British Petroleum Company plc
- Peter Smith, Chief Executive, Wigan Borough Council
- Ann Toler, Head of Personnel, Boots The Chemists Ltd.
- Perween Warsi, Managing Director, S&A Foods Ltd.
- Cecilia Wells, HR Consultant
- Gwenda Williams, Human Resource Manager, Hyder plc.