§ Mr. Harry Greenway
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what research his Department is currently undertaking into noise pollution; and if he will make a statement. 
§ Mr. Clappison
My Department is currently funding the following noise research work:
- Domestic noise complaints as seen by local authorities and those complained of.
- Noise climate assessment: a review of national and European practices.
- Clay target shooting: establishment of noise measurement methodology.
- Review of the take-up of the new night noise offence in the Noise Act 1996—phase 1: survey of local authority practice in dealing with domestic night noise complaints as at October 1996 to provide a baseline for studying the take-up and workings of the new offence.
- Technical advice to the Department on acoustic issues.