Dr. John Cunningham
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what extra assistance his Department has the power to offer to Copeland borough council and Cumbria county council following the recent severe weather conditions. 
§ Mr. Norris
The winter maintenance of local authority roads is funded through revenue support grant. Emergency assistance to local authorities is covered by the Bellwin scheme, which may be activated by my right 421W hon. Friend the Secretary of State for the Environment under powers in section 155 of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
§ Mr. Key
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport (1) what is his estimate of the costs arising from the provisions of the Street Works (Sharing of Costs of Works) Regulations 1992 to(a) gas, (b) electricity, (c) water and sewerage and (d) telecommunications industries associated with the planned rapid transit schemes known as (i) Docklands light railway extension, (ii) Rochdale to Manchester/Oldham extension to Metrolink, (iii) Reading bus lane construction and (iv) Greater Nottingham rapid transit; and if he will make a statement; 
(2) what estimate he has made of the costs to (a) the gas, (b) the electricity, (c) the water and sewerage and (d) the telecommunications industries associated with the planned rapid transit schemes known as (i) Croydon Tramlink, (ii) Birmingham Metrolink, (iii) Leeds Supertram and (iv) the channel tunnel rail link under the provisions of the Street Works (Sharing of Costs and Works) regulations 1992; and if he will make a statement. 
§ Mr. Norris
The regulations provide for the utilities to bear 18 per cent. of the allowable costs of diversionary works, the remaining 82 per cent. being borne by the promoter. Estimates of scheme costs, including diversionary works costs, are a matter for the promoter in the first instance.