HC Deb 22 June 1995 vol 262 cc420-1W
Sir David Steel

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland what considerations underlie the difference between planning application fees for minor developments within conservation areas for flatted dwellings and dwelling houses; and if he will amend regulations to equalise the fees. [29205]

Mr. Lang

Where a planning authority has, under the relevant legislation, removed permitted development rights in a conservation area, owners of dwelling houses and flatted dwellings must submit a planning application for minor proposals. A planning fee is payable in the case of a dwelling house, but not in the case of a flatted dwelling. This accords with the position outwith conservation areas where a dwelling house would, subject to certain limitations, enjoy permitted development rights but planning proposals in flatted dwellings require planning permission and, accordingly, payment of a fee.

The reason for the distinction is that alterations to flats are more likely to affect neighbouring interests and are not therefore granted the permitted development rights available to dwelling houses.