§ Mr. Ron Davies
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what was his Department's expenditure on(a) prisons and (b) the probation service in Wales in the latest available year.
§ Mr. Michael Forsyth
The net operating costs of Welsh prisons in 1993–94 were £18.8 million.
Expenditure by Welsh probation areas in 1993–94 was £18.4 million. The Home Office meets 80 per cent. of this expenditure and the responsible local authorities meet the remaining 20 per cent.