§ Mr. Chisholm
To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security how much his Department spent or expects to spend in Scotland on(a) income support for mortgage interest and (b) housing benefit in each year between 1991–92 and 1995–96.
§ Mr. Roger Evans
The available information is set out in the table. Information on expected expenditure for income support mortgage interest in 1995–96 will not be available until after the consultation exercise on the proposals announced in the Budget.84W
Estimated expenditure on income support mortgage interest and housing benefit in Scotland Year Estimated expenditure on income support mortgage interest £ million Estimated expenditure on housing benefit £ million 1991–92 33.1 590 1992–93 32.4 650 1993–94 32.6 730 1994–95 32.6 820 1995–96 n/a 930
Income Support Mortgage Interest figures:
1. Source: Income Support Annual Statistical Enquiries, May 1991–1993 and Income Support Statistics Quarterly Enquiry, February 1994.
2. rounded to nearest hundred thousand.
3. based on estimates on weekly amounts and number of recipients at time of survey.
Housing Benefit figures:
4. the figures underlie those that appear in the 1994 Social Security Departmental Report.
5. figures are rounded to the nearest £10 million.