§ Mr. Soames
The recorded number of local veterinary inspectors in Great Britain in each of the years 1987–93 is as follows:
Year Number of LVIs 1987 4,870 1988 5,120 1989 5,165
Year Number of LVIs 1990 5,370 1991 5,479 1992 5,852 1993 5,841
Figures prior to 1987 are not readily available.
§ Mr. Soames
The Government continue to press for high standards of animal health and welfare to be applied throughout the European Community to the transport of animals, including exports.
Legislative changes since 1979 are listed as follows:
- (a) EC Directive 91/628/EEC on the protection of animals during transport (OJ No. L340, 11 12 1991, p. 17) (revoked and replaced two earlier directives).
- (b) The following national (GB) legislation came into force which also implements the above directive:—
- The Transit of Animals (Road and Rail) (Amendment) Order 1979, S.I. 1979/1013
- The Export of Animals (Protection) Order 1981, S.I. 1981/1051
- The Transit of Animals (Amendment) Order 1988, S.I. 1988/815
- The Welfare of Poultry (Transport) Order 1988, S.I. 1988/851
- The Welfare of Poultry (Transport) (Amendment) Order 1989, S.I. 1989/52
- The Welfare of Animals during Transport Order 1992, S.I. 1992/3304
(c) In addition, a number of EC directives laying down detailed animal health rules governing intra-community trade in live animals have been implemented in Great Britain by means of the Animals and Animal Products (Import and Export) Regulations 1993 (S.I. 1993/3247).