§ Mr. Morley
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department (1) what was the cost of the Animal Procedures Committee in the most recent year for which figures are available;
(2) how many full and part-time staff are presently working for the Animal Procedures Committee;
(3) if he will list the members of the Animal Procedures Committee showing what organisation or interest they represent.
§ Mr. Charles Wardle
For 1993–94, the estimated cost of the Animal Procedures Committee is £16,663.
The committee is served by two part-time members of staff.
The membership of the Animal Procedures Committee as at 1 January 1994 is as follows:
- Professor Margaret Brazier, LLB (Chairman), Professor of Law, University of Manchester.
- Dr. Michael Balls, MA PhD FIBiol, Head of the European Centre for the Validation of Alternative Methods (ECVAM); Chairman of the Trustees of the Fund for the Replacement of Animals in Medical Experiments (FRAME).
- Mr. Edward Bernard, FIAT, Chairman, Serotec Ltd.
- Professor Barry Bridges, BSc MD, former Professor of Histology, Queen's University, Belfast.
- Dr. Fiona Broughton Pipkin, MA DPhil, Professor of Perinatal Physiology, University of Nottingham.
- Professor Anthony Dayan, MD FRCP FRCPath FFPM FIBiol. Professor of Toxicology, St. Bartholomew's Hospital.
- Mr. Roger Ewbank, OBE MVSc FIBiol MRCVS, Director of the Universities Federation for Animal Welfare (UFAW).
- Mr. Clive Hollands, Secretary to the Committee for the Reform of Animal Experimentation (CRAE).
- Sir Andrew Huxley, OM FRS, Past President, Royal Society.
- Dr. Susan Iversen, MA PhD, Academic Head of the Department of Experimental Psychology, Oxford University.
- Dr. Brian Newbould, BPharm FPS PhD MCPP, formerly Director, International Research Affairs, Zeneca Ltd.
- Dr. Onora O'Neill, MA PhD, Principal, Newham College Cambridge.
- Professor Lord Soulsby, MA PhD DVSM AM DSc MRCVS, formerly Professor of Animal Pathology, University of Cambridge.
- Professor Michael Spyer, BSc, PhD DSc, Professor of Physiology, Royal Free Hospital Medical School.
- Dr. Anthony J. Suckling BSC PhD, Chief Scientific Officer of the RSPCA.