§ Mr. Wallace
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what response he has received from the Greek authorities in respect of representations made to them by his Department regarding the alleged dumping of coal residue in international waters west of Foula in 1992, by the MV Tigris; and if he will make a statement.
§ Mr. Norris
The response from the Greek authorities received last month states that the competent Greek authorities have investigated the matter and questioned the master of the vessel. He confirmed that:
- a. MV Tigris was on 13 May 1992 and at 1445 GMT in the position mentioned and the Captain was on the bridge;
- b. A crew member was on the starboard side where he was piling coal dust after a clean up of the hold of the ship;
- c. Competent officers under Captain's orders ensured that remainders of cargo were not shovelled into the sea;
- d. The Captain issued the order since the vessel was in a Special Area;
- e. The crew member on the starboard side did not shovel coal dust over the side of the vessel.
The Greek authorities did not impose a penalty.
We remain concerned about this matter and are considering how to take it further.