§ Mr. Lang
The following proposals which fall within my responsibilities will require new legislation:
- (a) to ensure fair competition and extend compulsory competitive tendering to a wider range of local authority services;
- (b) to enable the Commission for Local Authority Accounts to require local authorities to publish common standards of performance; and
- (c) to require local authorities to consider and respond publicly to auditors reports.
Provisions covering these three proposals are included in the Local Government Bill which was introduced to Parliament on 4 November.
- (i) to publish comparable information about schools in a standard format relating to public examination results, truancy rates, the destination of school leavers and school running costs; and
- (ii) to provide for the new pupil report card.
Provisions covering these proposals are included in the Education (Schools) Bill which was introduced to Parliament on 6 November.