§ Mr. Wigley
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment (1) what planning policy guidance notes are currently being drafted; how many such guidance notes it is intended to issue; and on what subjects he intends to issue planning policy guidance;
(2) what consultation there has been with organisations representing the interests of disabled people on the drafting of planning policy guidance notes;
(3) if he will ensure that the Access Committee for England, the Joint Committee on Mobility for Disabled People and the Royal Association for Disability and Rehabilitation and other such organisations are consulted before the contents of planning policy guidance notes are finalised;
(4) if he will consult the Access Committee for England, the Joint Committee on Mobility for Disabled People and the Royal Association for Disability and Rehabilitation and other such organisations before finally determining the contents of planning policy guidance note No. 1 (PPG1).
§ Mr. Yeo
Most of the existing planning policy guidance notes were issued in 1988 and 1989. Since then there have been significant policy developments including changes in planning legislation. The following PPGs are being reviewed in the light of these changes.
- PPG1: General policy and principles
- PPG3: Land for housing
- PPG4: Industrial and commercial development and small firms
- PPG5: Simplified Planning Zones
- PPG7: Rural enterprise and development
- PPG8: Telecommunications
- PPGI2: Local plans
- PPG15: Regional Planning Guidance, Structure Plans and the content of Development Plans
We have also said that we would consult on the question of defining new objectives for the green belts, on which advice is contained in PPG2.
New planning policy guidance is being prepared on sport and recreation; nature conservation; planning, pollution control and waste management; tourism; listed buildings and conservation areas; advertisement control; enforcement; renewable sources of energy; travelling showpeople; noise; and coastal policy.
The Disabled Living Foundation and the Royal Association for Disability and Rehabilitation are consulted during the preparation of all PPG notes. The Access Committee for England and the Joint Committee on Mobility for Disabled People will be consulted on future guidance notes, including the revised PPG1. It is open to any organisation representing the interests of disabled people to make their views about planning policy matters known at any time.