§ Mr. Tim Smith
To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer what specific financial, efficiency and quality of service targets he has approved for the Central Office of Information for the current year and for the longer term.
§ Mr. Ryder
The targets that have been approved for the Central Office of Information are set out in annex A of its framework document as follows:
- 1. To break even in current cost terms after covering all costs, including interest on borrowings.
- 2. To achieve a 1 per cent. reduction in unit cost of output in real terms, which maintaining suitable levels of quality. Appropriate internal targets will be set for every budget holder to ensure achievement of the departmental target.
- 3. To achieve savings for clients on a base year of 1984–85, for incorporation in their annual returns to the CUP.
- 4. To deliver all work in accordance with client specification.
- 5. To deliver all work on time.
These targets have been agreed for the long term with the exception of target 2 which is subject to annual review in the light of market forces. Copies of the framework document are in the House of Commons Library.