§ Lord Denning
asked Her Majesty's Government:
Following the four Answers of Baroness Blatch on 14th June 1990 (cols. 524–525) whether, in the case of Church of England schools founded in Victorian times and closed before and after 1st April 1945, it was the frequent practice to sell the school building and to use the proceeds for the development of Church schools elsewhere (usually in the same diocese) whether or not there was a scheme under Section 86 of the Education Act 1944 or an order under Section 2 of the Education Act 1973 or of the Charity Commissioners under Sections 21, 23 and 29 of the Charities Act 1960.
§ Baroness Blatch
Many Church of England schools founded in Victorian times have closed and been sold. The sale of school buildings and subsequent application of the proceeds of sale for the benefit of other such schools in the same diocese were approved and authorised by the Secretary of State for Education and Science only in circumstances where the school was included in a scheme under Section 86 of the Education Act 1944 or an order under Section 2 of the Education Act 1973.
In circumstances other than these, the Charity Commissioners would have jurisdiction under Section 18 of the Charities Act 1960 to make schemes for closed charity schools on the application of the trustees.