HC Deb 14 March 1989 vol 149 c149W
183. Mr. Cox

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will review the position on the granting of work permits to husbands of Commonwealth exchange teachers working in schools in the United Kingdom; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Renton

Under the immigration rules, the husbands of women admitted to the United Kingdom as Commonwealth exchange teachers cannot themselves be admitted to take employment unless they qualify in their own right—for example, by obtaining work permits in accordance with the usual criteria. I am, however, considering whether husbands should be admissible, with freedom to take employment, on the basis that their wives are being admitted as Commonwealth exchange teachers.