§ Sir John Biggs-Davison
To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland what opportunities for training and retraining for employment are now offered in west Belfast and other areas of high unemployment in the Province.
§ Mr. Needham
The following is a list of opportunities for training and retraining for employment currently offered in West Belfast:
(1) The Youth Training ProgrammeA two year Programme of training, further education, work experience, and job opportunities offered to 16 and 17 year olds.
(2) Boucher Road Training CentreA modern industrial training centre which serves the West Belfast area and provides off-the-job industrial skills training for young persons and adults.
(3) The Attachment Training SchemeProvides other full time training opportunities to unemployed adults, mainly with employers.
(4) The Job Training ProgrammeA recently piloted programme of directed training and practical experience for the longer term unemployed adult.
(5) The Entry into Management ProgrammeProvides opportunities for young persons wishing to enter management, redundant managers seeking reemployment and people wishing to develop new business ideas.
Similar opportunities are provided in other areas of high unemployment in the Province.