§ Mr. Tim Smith
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what information he has as to what proportion of local authority audits is undertaken by the district audit service and what proportion is contracted out to private firms of accountants.
§ Mr. Chope
In its annual report for 1987–88 the Audit Commission recorded that the district audit service carried out some 70 per cent. of local authority audit work and that the remaining 30 per cent. was carried out by private firms. I understand that these figures relate to the proportion by value of work done.