§ Mrs. Virginia Bottomley
To ask the Secretary of State for Social Services whether he will announce the appointment of regional health authority chairmen from I August.
§ Mr. Moore
The terms of office of eight of the 14 regional health authority chairmen expire on 31 July 1988. I have made three new appointments as follows:
- South West Thames—Mrs. J. F. Cumberlege CBE
- Wessex—Mr. R. W. Buchanan
- North Western—Mr. R. B. Martin QC
These appointments run until 31 July 1990.
The chairmen of the following five regional health authorities have accepted my invitation to serve in this most important position for another two years each:
- Northern—Sir Bernard Tomlinson
- Yorkshire—Mr. B. Askew
- North West Thames—Mr. W. Doughty
- North East Thames—Mr. D. Berriman
- Oxford—Sir Gordon Roberts
I should like to place on record my appreciation of the distinguished service given to the National Health Service by the three outgoing regional chairmen: Sir Antony Driver (South West Thames), Sir Bryan Thwaites (Wessex) and Sir John Page OBE (North Western).