§ Mr. Tom Arnold
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs if he will list the responsibilities of each of the deputy secretaries in his Department and the numbers and grades of staff reporting to each.
§ Mr. Eggar
The information is as follows:
1.Deputy Under-Secretary and Deputy to the Permanent Under-Secretary; and Political Director
- United Nations; relations with eastern, southern, and western Europe; labour matters and coordination of planning.
- Three Assistant Under-Secretaries and 124 other staff.
2. Deputy Under-Secretary
- Trade and economic relations, energy, science, space, maritime, aviation and environment; European Community (political co-operation); narcotics control and AIDS.
- Three Assistant Under-Secretaries and 104 other staff.
3. Deputy Under-Secretary
- Personnel, finance, communications, office services, overseas estate, protocol, news and information matters; cultural relations; consular, migration and nationality questions; relations with Parliament.
- Five Assistant Under-Secretaries and 2,576 other staff.
4. Deputy Under-Secretary
- Relations with all countries in the Americas, Caribbean, Australasia and Asia.
- Two Assistant Under-Secretaries and 138 other staff.
5. Deputy Under-Secretary
- Relations with all countries in Africa and the near and middle east; Commonwealth co-ordination.
- Two Assistant Under-Secretaries and 112 other staff.
6. Deputy Under-Secretary
- Relations with the Republic of Ireland; arms control, disarmament and defence matters; service adviser and attaches; security coordination.
- Two Assistant Under-Secretaries and 116 other staff.
- Bilateral, multilateral and functional aid; overseas manpower services; overseas service pensions.
- Five Assistant Under-Secretaries and 926 other staff.