§ Mr. Hawksley
asked the Paymaster General how many people were invited to attend jobcentres in Telford for the restart programme up to 31 March; how many attended; and if he will categorise the offers made.
§ Mr. Kenneth Clarke
[pursuant to his reply, 11 May 1987, c. 28]: The information requested is available only for the Shropshire restart area. By 9 April 10,873 people had been invited for a restart interview of which 9,683 had already attended. The interviews provide a means of gaining access to the wide range of opportunities available to help people return to employment. A total of 88 per cent. of people interviewed were offered at least one of the following opportunities:
- an interview for a job vacancy or a place on the community programme;
- a place in a jobclub;
- a training course;
- an introduction to the enterprise allowance scheme;
- a place on a restart course;
- a chance to undertake voluntary work;
- a referral for specialist help.