§ Mr. Cohen
asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will call for a report from the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis to explain the procedures used within his force to identify the originator of an inquiry to the police national computer and the categories used to record the reasons for an inquiry; and if he will make a statement.
I am informed by the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis that operators of police national computer terminals in his force are required to establish the identity of persons making enquiries and, where appropriate, make a written note that this check has been90W carried out. Information is divulged only to those entitled to it. The categories used to record the reasons for an inquiry are:
- 1. Stop: where a person or vehicle is stopped in the street.
- 2. Process/verbal warning: where a verbal warning is to be given to a person usually for a minor traffic offence.
- 3. Accident: where information is sought at the scene of an accident.
- 4. Arrest: where a person is arrested.
- 5. An unattended vehicle check: where a check is made on an unattended vehicle.
- 6. Crime/alleged crime: where a check is made during the course of the investigation of a crime, or alleged crime.
- 7. Admin: major/minor process: where an administration unit is processing information relating to major or minor traffic offences.
- 8. Admin: general/licensing/firearms: where an administration unit is processing information relating to licensing or firearms applications.
- 9. Crime support unit: where information is requested from a crime support unit during the course of an investigation or during the preparation of case papers.
All enquiries are recorded under one of these categories.