§ Mr. Speller
asked the Secretary of State for Energy what information he has as to the percentage of electricity generated in each European Community state by coal, nuclear, oil, hydro, wind or other sources providing more than 1 per cent. of national electricity output.
§ Mr. Goodlad
Information about electricity generation in the Community is contained in the European Commission's regular publications, "Eurostat Statistical Yearbook" and "Energy Monthly Statistics". Copies are available in the Library of the House.
The latest available information, based on these sources, is summarised in the following table:it is our intention, so long as the system of price control set out in the published draft Authorisation remains in force, to continue to provide services for our domestic customers on the basis set out below.
- 1. For Emergency Service, up to thirty minutes work or the time taken to make safe whichever is the longer will be provided free of charge. Parts to the value of £2.50 will be provided free, but where the value exceeds £2.50 the full amount will be charged.
- 2. The target for attending gas escapes will be within I hour of receipt of report where the escape has not been controlled, or 2 hours where the escape has been controlled, for example, where the customer's control tap has been turned off.
- 3. The normal target for inspecting appliances needing repair as opposed to routine servicing will be to attend within two working days. However, it may not always be possible to achieve this target during periods of extended inclement weather and peak demands. In such circumstances priority will be given to the aged and the infirm, and to customers without heating.
- 4. A free safety check on appliances and installations will be provided on request for elderly or disabled persons living alone.
- 5. A range of safety services at special prices will continue to be provided. The nature and direction of these will be reviewed from time to time in the light of circumstances and experience. Currently a gas fire safety check at £5.85 and a basic inspection check on the house pipes and one appliance are provided. The basic inspection check is currently priced at £11.39 together with a London weighting supplement where appropriate. A range of special controls for disabled or visually handicapped customers' appliances is available at a current price of £2.53 each (including fixing).
- 6. Work on customers' appliances and installations treated as Essential Service for the purpose of our accounts, that is to say, remedial and other services provided to customers in furtherance of the safe or proper use of gas or gas fittings, will
573 continue to be priced in accordance with our policy of encouraging customers to report faults and potentially dangerous situations. We will aim not to increase the present charges for these services by more than the rate of inflation. Charges will be notified annually to the Gas Consumers' Council.
- 7. The prices quoted above include VAT at 15 per cent.
This assurance is given on behalf of the Corporation and it is our intention that it will he renewed by the Board of the successor company after vesting.Yours everDenis