§ Mr. Eggar
asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science if he will list all the nationalised industries, non-governmental organisations and agencies for which his Department either has responsibility or provides funding, as well as those sections of his Department which provide services to the general public or to private organisations; and if he will indicate separately those which at present (a) charge no fees, (b) charge fees which do not fully cover the costs of providing those services, (c) charge fees which exactly cover the costs of providing those services and (d) charge fees which more than cover the costs of providing those services.
§ Sir Keith Joseph:
The Department does not collect comprehensive information on fees and charges for services rendered by the wide range of bodies which it grant aids. Services costing over £100,000 which the 590W Department and certain non-departmental public bodies for which it is responsible are required to report annually to the Treasury were as follows in 1983–84:—
(a) No fee charged—nil
(b) Fee not fully covering cost of service
Agricultural and Food Research Council: sugar beet research services.
(c) Fee exactly covering cost of service
- DES: Accommodation and general services provided for the Further Education Unit.
- Agricultural and Food Research Council: research and statistical services.
- National Environment Research Council: research services contracts.
- Science and Engineering Research Council: computing and research.
- British Museaum (Natural History): publications/bookshop.
(d) Fee more than covering cost of service—nil