§ Mr. Barnett
asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science if he will list the members of the newly-established Council for the Accreditation of Teachers Education; how many of its members have had direct and recent experience of classroom teaching; how many are teacher educators; and how many have had experience of multi-cultural education.
§ Mr. Dunn
The members of the Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education are listed as follows; together with their current occupations. Four of the members have had direct and recent experience of schoolteaching; a number of the others, including the chairman, have taught in schools earlier in their careers. Four members are actively involved at present in teacher education. The backgrounds and experience of a number of the members are relevant to the preparation of teachers for work in a multi-racial society.
- Dr. William Taylor, CBE, FCP (Chairman) Principal, University of London
- Mr. Renford Bambrough Fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge
- Professor Anthony Becher Director of the School of Education, University of Sussex
- Mr. Angus Clark Board Director of Personnel, J. Sainsbury Ltd.
- Councillor Frank Cogan Chairman, Hertfordshire Education Committee
- Mr. Andrew Collier Chief Education Officer, Lancashire
- Mr. Michael Dixon Education Correspondent, The Financial Times
- Mr. Peter Griffin Headteacher, Windsor Olive County Junior School, Cardiff, on leave of absence for one year from April 1984 to serve as President, National Union of Teachers.
- Dr. Hester Mary Hallaway Principal, Trinity and All Saints College, Leeds
- Dr. David Hargreaves Chief Inspector, Inner London Education Authority
- Dr. Marian Giles-Jones Senior Mistress and Head of Modern Languages, Ysgol Aberconwy, Gwynedd
- Dr. Bernice Martin Reader in Sociology, Bedford College, London
- Dr. Derek Mortimer Assistant Director, Wolverhampton Polytechnic
- Councillor Patrick Mullany Chairman, Doncaster Education Committee
- Mr. Peter Scott, FRCS Headteacher of the City of Leeds School and the 1984 Chairman of the Association for Science Education
- Dr. David Shadbolt Principal, Worcester College of Higher Education
- Mr. Peter Snape General Secretary, Secondary Heads Association and Headmasters Conference, formerly Headteacher of King Edward VI School, Totnes
- Mr. Peter Ward Personnel Director (UK), Hewlett Packard
- Mr. William Wright Chief Education Officer, City of Wakefield