§ Mr. Coombs
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what are the terms of reference for the Joint Advisory Committee on Nutrition Education; and to whom it will report.
§ Mr. John Patten
The Joint Advisory Committee on Nutrition Education has been set up by the British Nutrition Foundation (BNF) and the Health Education Council (HEC) and it reports to those bodies. I understand that its terms of reference are:
- 1. To advise the Councils of the British Nutrition Foundation and the Health Education Council on all matters relating to nutrition education;
- 2. To consider proposals on nutrition education referred to it by the BNF or the HEC, and to report back to their Councils;
- 3. Specifically, the Committee will:
- (a) make recommendations to the Councils of the BNF and the HEC for the translation of appropriate scientific papers, surveys and reports on nutrition into educational material for use by suitable bodies;
- (b) consider and advise on how nutrition education for the public, the educators (including paramedical professionals) and the agricultural, food and allied industries could be furthered and improved.