§ Sir David Price
asked the Secretary of State for Transport how many new cars were registered in the United Kingdom during 1981; what percentage were registered in the names of private individuals and what percentage were registered in the names of companies, partnerships, public bodies, and so on.
§ Mrs. Chalker
There were 1½51 million new private cars and vans registered in the United Kingdom in 1981, of which 61 per cent. were registered under a private address. The remaining 39 per cent. were registered under a company address. Information on registration by type of company is not available.
Greater detail on new registrations is published in "Transport Statistics Great Britain" and "The Monthly Digest of Statistics", copies of which are held in the Library.