§ Mr. Peter Robinson
asked the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland if he will list the reports completed by the Economic Council, together with action which has been taken as a result.
§ Mr. Adam Butler
The following reports have been completed by the Northern Ireland Economic Council since its reorganisation in 1977.
- Representations to Government on some Problems of Agriculture: (February 1978).
- Annual Statement of Work 1977–78: (September 1978).
- Recommendations on Energy Policy in Northern Ireland: (September 1978).
- The Development of Horticulture in Northern Ireland: Some comments by the Economic Council: (January 1979).
- Statement of views on Air Passenger Services: (February 1979).
- Statement on views on Sea Ferry Services: (May 1979).
- Economic and Social Progress in Northern Ireland: A response to the Government's Discussion Paper: (June 1979). Annual Report 1978–79: (September 1979).
- Government Statement on Energy Policy in Northern Ireland: Comments by the Economic Council: (September 1979).
- The Availability, Supply and Development of Management for Industry and Commerce in Northern Ireland: (November 1979).
- The Clothing Industry in Northern Ireland: (December 1979).
- Industrial Development Policy: (April 1980).
- Energy Conservation: (April 1980).
- Unemployment in Northern Ireland 1974–79: (September 1980).
- Annual Report 1979–80: (October 1980).
- Further Study of Gas Pipeline: (September 1980).
- Advanced Technology: (November 1980).
- Public Expenditure Comparisons between Northern Ireland and GB: (January 1981).
- The NI Construction Industry: (March 1981)
- Economic Assessment: (April 1981).
- Public Expenditure Priorities: Roads: (April 1981).
- Public Expenditure Priorities: Housing: (May 1981).
- Employment Patterns in Northern Ireland 1950–1980: (June 1981).
- Strangford Lough Tidal Energy: (August 1981).
- Research, Development and Innovation in Northern Ireland: (October 1981)
- Annual Report 1980–81: (October 1981).
- Youth Unemployment and Training: (March 1982).
- Economic Assessment: March 1982: (March 1982).
- The Financial System in Northern Ireland: (April 1982).
- Private Services in Economic Development: (May 1982).
- Public Expenditure Priorities: Health and Personal Social Services: (May 1982).
The Northern Ireland Economic Council's main role is to advise the Government on economic planning and to monitor results of economic policies. The council also provides a source of informed comment on the Government's economic programme and undertakes at the Government's invitation, and also independently, studies on subjects related to the Northern Ireland economy. The reports are studied closely and where recommendations are made these are taken into account when Government are developing policy.