§ Mr. David Steel
asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science if he will list the number of centres in the United Kingdom, apart from the Animal Breeding Research Organisation, engaged in genetic research directed towards the improvement of farm animals
§ Mr. William Shelton
Apart from the Animal Breeding Research Organisation, the following centres in the United Kingdom are engaged in genetic research directed towards the improvement of farm animals, including poultry
- Funded by the Agricultural Research Council
- Houghton Poultry Research Station
- Institute of Animal Physiology
- Institute for Research on Animal Diseases
- Poultry Research Centre
In addition, the neuropathogenesis unit, jointly funded by the Agricultural and Medical Research Councils, carries out work in this area.
- Funded by the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and carried out by the Agriculture Development Advisory Service
- Bridgetts Experimental Husbandry Farm (EHF)—cattle
- Terrinton EHF—pigs
- Liscombe EHF—sheep
- Pwllpeiran EHF—sheep
- Redesdale EHF—sheep
- Rosemaund EHF—sheep
- Trawsgoed EHF—sheep
For centres funded by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland, and for work in universities, I refer the right hon. Member to the information given in my answer to his similar question on 23 December 1981.
I have no details of centres which are not publicly funded.