§ Mr. Carter-Jones
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will list the figures for 1981 for (a) the average number of attendance allowances in payment at each rate, (b) the number of awards for fixed terms which expired, (c) the number of renewal claims for expired awards, (d) the number, respectively, of renewal claims and reviews during the currency of an award which resulted in (i) retention of higher rate allowance, (ii) increase of lower rate to higher rate, (iii) retention of lower rate allowance, (iv) decrease from higher rate to lower rate, (v) withdrawal of allowance at higher rate and (vi) withdrawal of allowance at lower rate, (e) the number of deaths of recipients of the allowance at each rate, (f) the number of new claims for the allowance and (g) the number of new awards at each rate.
§ Mr. Rossi
The information is as follows:
- (a) Awards in payment at 30 September 1980 (latest figures available)—higher rate 126,000, lower rate 169,000.
- (b) Awards for fixed terms which expired in 1981–38,000.
- (c) Renewal claims received in 1981 following expiry of previous award—36,000.
- (d) Renewal claims decided in 1981.
- (i) retention of higher rate—9,510
- (ii) increase of lower rate to higher rate—2,290
- (iii) retention of lower rate—15,680
- (iv) decrease from higher rate to lower rate—2,900
- (v) withdrawal of higher rate—460
- (vi) withdrawal of lower rate—2,520
- Reviews in 1981 (details not available in the precise form requested)
- (1) original decision maintained—5,370
- (2) review decision more favourable by rate or commencing date—14,690
- (3) review decision less favourable by rate or commencing date—140
(e) Deaths of recipients of the allowance in 1981 (breakdown between higher and lower rate not available)—52,000 (f)New claims received in 1981–167,000 (g)New awards in 1981—higher rate—43,000, lower rate—65,000