HC Deb 11 November 1980 vol 992 cc109-10W
Mr. Campbell-Savours

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what would be the effect on the health of persons who worked within the vicinity of a microwave appliance working in excess of the 5mW/cm2 limit.

Sir George Young

The evidence available is that no harm would occur to a person exposed for several hours to microwave radiation at a level of up to 100 milliwatts per square centimeter. Prolonged exposure to higher levels could cause heat stress, cataract, cardiovascular and testicular effects and changes in brain wave patterns, but is most unlikely to occur from appliances designed to conform with the current United Kingdom recommendations for maximum emission.