§ Mr. Carter-Jones
asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will list the members and terms of reference of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs; what are the aims and objectives of the council; what is the council's programme of work; and if he will make a statement.
§ Mr. Raison
The duties of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs are set out in section 1, subsections (2) and (3), of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, and its constitution in schedule 1.
The present members are:
- Sir Robert Bradlaw, C.B.E.—Chairman—Former President of the British Dental Association
- Miss F. Adamson, B.A.—Lecturer in Social Work
- Dr. T. H. Bewley, M.A., M.D., F.R.C.P.I., F.R.C. Psych—Consultant Psychiatrist
- Mr. J. C. Bloomfield, O.B.E., F.P.S., F.B.O.A., J.P.—Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain Mr. A. Bristow—Member of the Health Education Council
- Mr. H. E. Carter, M.R.C.V.S.—Veterinary Surgeon
- Mr. D. Cox—Tower Hamlets Youth and Community Project
- Miss A. H. Dixon—Social Worker
- Professor R. Duckworth, M.D., B.D.S., F.D.S., F.R.C. Path—Professor of Oral Medicine
- Professor J. Griffith Edwards, M.A., D.M., D.P.M., F.R.C.P.—Consultant Psychiatrist
- Dr. W. W. Fulton, O.B.E., F.R.C.G.P.—General Practitioner
- Mr. A. Gorst—Director of Social Services
- Professor J. D. P. Graham, MD., D.Ss. F.R.C.P. (Edin)., F.R.F.P.S., F.R.S.E.—Professor of Pharmacology
- Mrs. A. Jones—Head Teacher
- Professor W. I. N. Kessel, M.D., F.R.C.P., (Edin).—Professor of Psychiatry
- Dr D. J. King, M.D., M.R.C., Psych—Senior Lecturer in Neuropharmacology.
- Rev. E. Lewis, S.R.N., R.M.N., D.M.S.—Area Nurse Specialist.
- Dr. B. B. Lloyd, M.A., D.Sc.—Member of Health Education Council.
- Professor G. P. McNicol, M.D., Ph. D., F.R.C.P. (London, Edinburgh, Glasgow)—Professor of Medicine
- Dr. G. C. Mathers, M.B., B.S., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., D.Obst., R.C.O.G.—General Practitioner.
- Mr. P. A. Myers, O.B.E., Q.P.M.—Chief Constable.
- Detective Superintendent R. Owen—Commander of Police
- Mr. M. J. Power—Senior Research Fellow.
- Miss G. M. Rickus, B.A.—Director of Education.
- Mr. W. E. C. Robins—Metropolitan Stipendiary Magistrate.
- Mrs. R. Runiman, B.A.—Citizens Advice Bureau.
- Dr. B. C. Saunders, C.B.E., M.A., Ph. D., D.Sc., F.R.I.C.—Magdalene College, Cambridge.
- Mrs. M. Sharpe, S.R.N., J.P.,—State Registered Nurse.
- Mr. J. A. Smith, F.P.S.—Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry.
- Mr. G. T. Steele, M.A.—Head Teacher.
- Mr. D. Turner—Standing Conference on Drug Abuse.
- Dr. D. Wild. M.B., Ch.B., D.Obst., R.C.O.G., D.P.H., M.R.C.M., D.M.A.—Area Medical Officer.
For the purpose of fulfilling its remit the advisory council has established a technical sub-committee to consider and make recommendations to the council about the control under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 of any substance which is being or appears likely to be misused and of which the misuse is having or appears to the sub-committee capable of having harmful effects sufficient to constitute a social problem. Also, working groups of the council have been established as necessary to deal with various items; the present working groups are as follows:
- i. Working Group on Treatment and Rehabilitation—to undertake a comprehensive review of the treatment and rehabilitation services for the misusers of drugs, and to make recommendations for dealing with both immediate problems and the situation generally.
- ii. Working Group on Prevention—to consider measures which should be taken for preventing the misuse of drugs and to make recommendations.
- iii. Working Group on Legal and Administration Matters—to examine and review:
- (a) matters affecting the law on the control of drug misuse in the United Kingdom;
- (b) the collection of data required to facilitate the work of the advisory council; and to make recommendations.
In addition, in order to assist its consideration of the implications for future official policy, the council has called together a working group, consisting of council members and others, to assess the current scientific evidence on the effects of the use of cannabis and cannabis resin.