§ Mr. Christopher Price
asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science if she will list in the Official Report those former direct grant schools which have expressed their intention of joining the maintained system and becoming comprehensive schools, indicating (a) which have already received their first comprehensive intake and (b) the dates on which the remainder will join the maintained sector.
§ Miss Margaret Jackson
Fifty-one direct grant grammar schools expressed their intention of joining the maintained system as comprehensive schools in accordance with the Direct Grant Grammar Schools (Cessation of Grant) Regulations 1975. Details follow:
(a) Schools which have entered the maintained system
- Holt Hill Convent School Birkenhead.
- De La Salle College, Sheffield.
- Notre Dame High School, Sheffield.
- St Anthony's School, Sunderland.
- Notre Dame High School, St. Helens.
- West Park Grammar School, St. Helens.
- Seafield Convent Grammar School, Sefton.
- Loreto College, Manchester.
- Notre Dame High School, Manchester.
- The Hollies Grammar School, Manchester.
- Xavarian College, Manchester.
- Adelphi House Grammar School, Salford.
- De La Salle College, Salford
- Convent of the Sacred Heart Grammar School, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- St. Cuthbert's Grammar School, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- St. Joseph's College, Blackpool.
- St. Joseph's College, Bradford.
- Layton Hill Convent Grammar School. Blackpool.
(b) Schools planning to join the maintained system with expected dates of entry
- The Cannon Slade Grammar School, Bolton.
- Notre Dame Grammar School, Leeds.
- St. Mary's College, Leeds.
- St. Michael's College, Leeds.
- St. Anne's Convent School, Southampton.
- Paddock House Convent Grammar School, Accrington.
- Winckley Square Convent School, Preston.
- Preston Catholic College.
- Lark Hill House School.
- St. Mary's College, Blackburn.
- Notre Dame High School, Blackburn.
- Bury Convent Grammar School.
- St. Brendan's College, Bristol.
- Ursuline Convent High School, Brentwood.
- Notre Dame High School, Norwich.
- Mount St. Joseph School, Bolton.
- Thornleigh Salesian College, Bolton.
- The Bar Convent Grammar School, York.
- Ursuline High School, Ilford.
- Notre Dame High School, Plymouth.
- St. Boniface's College, Plymouth.
Date of entry not yet finally settled
- St. Edmunds College, Liverpool.
- Bellerive Convent Grammar School, Liverpool.
- Notre Dame Collegiate School, Liverpool.
- St. Edward's College, Liverpool.
- St. Francis Xavier College, Liverpool.
- St. Dominic's High School, Stoke on Trent.
- St. Joseph's College, Stoke on Trent.
(c) Schools not accepted for the maintained system and expected to become independent schools or to close
- La Retraite High School, Bristol.
- St. Anne's College, Sanderstead.
- St. John's College, Southsea.
- St. Joseph's Convent Grammar School, Bexley.
- Wellington School, Somerset.
§ Mr. Christopher Price
asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science if she will list in the Official Report those former direct grant schools which so far have not expressed any intention of joining the maintained system and becoming comprehensive schools; and what progress was reported in those schools towards a comprehensive intake in her Department's annual review of January 1978.
§ Miss Margaret Jackson
The 174 direct grant grammar schools in existence at the time the Direct Grant Grammar Schools (Cessation of Grant) Regulations 1975 came into operation had until 31st December 1975 to declare an intention to join the maintained sector. Schools which chose not to do so received no grant in respect of pupils admitted from September 1976 and584W will not be joining the maintained system. Of these, 119 are becoming independent schools and four have closed: details follow. The recent review was concerned only with schools which had opted to enter the maintained system.
- Bromley High School for Girls
- Eltham College
- Croydon High School for Girls
- Old Palace Girls School, Croydon
- Notting Hill and Ealing High School for Girls
- North London Collegiate School
- Kingston Grammar School
- Wimbledon High School for Girls
- Bancroft's School, Woodford
- Sutton High School for Girls
- King Edward VI School, Birmingham
- King Edward VI High School for Girls, Birmingham
- King Henry VIII Grammar School, Coventry
- Bablake School, Coventry
- Belvedere School for Girls, Liverpool
- St. Mary s College, Crosby
- The Merchant Taylors' Boys School, Crosby
- The Merchant Taylors' School for Girls, Crosby
- Birkenhead School
- Birkenhead High School for Girls
- St. Anselm's College, Birkenhead
- Bolton School Boys Division
- Bolton School Girls Division
- Bury Grammar School for Boys
- Bury Grammar School for Girls
- Manchester Grammar School
- Manchester High School for Girls
- William Hulme Grammar School, Manchester
- St. Bede's College, Manchester
- Withington Girls School, Manchester
- Hulme Grammar School for Boys, Oldham
- Hulme Grammar School for Girls, Oldham
- Stockport Grammar School
- Cheadle Hulme School
- Sheffield High School for Girls
- Bradford Girls Grammar School
- Bradford Grammar School
- Leeds Girls High School
- Leeds Grammar School
- Woodhouse Grove School, Aireborough
- Wakefield Girls' High School
- Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Wakefield
- Central High School for Girls, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Dame Allan's Boys School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Dame Allan's Girls School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Royal Grammar School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Latymer Upper School, Hammersmith
- South Hampstead High School for Girls
- Blackheath High School for Girls
- Sydenham High School for Girls
- Putney High School for Girls
- Streatham Hill and Clapham High School for Girls
- Dulwich Alleyn's School
- Bristol Cathedral School
- Bristol Grammar School
- Queen Elizabeth's Hospital School, Bristol
- Red Maids' School, Bristol
- Redland High School for Girls, Bristol
- Bath High School for Girls
- King Edward's School, Bath
- Dame Alice Harpur School, Bedford
- Bedford Modern School for Boys
- The Abbey School, Reading
- Perse School for Boys, Cambridge
- Perse School for Girls, Cambridge
- Kimbolton School
- King's School, Chester
- Queens School, Chester
- Truro School
- Truro High School for Girls
- Edgehill Girls College, Bideford
- Shebbear College, Bearworthy
- West Buckland School, Barnstaple
- Exeter School
- Maynard's Girls School, Exeter
- Plymouth College
- Talbot Heath School, Bournemouth
- Barnard Castle School
- Brighton and Hove High School for Girls
- Brentwood School
- Portsmouth High School for Girls
- Portsmouth Grammar School
- Hereford Cathedral Grammar School
- King's School, Worcester
- City of St. Albans Grammar School
- Haberdashers' Aske's School, Elstree
- Haberdashers' Aske's Girls School, Elstree
- Hymer's College, Kingston-upon-Hull
- Pocklington School
- Kent College, Canterbury
- Walthamstow Hall School, Sevenoaks
- King Edward VII School, Lytham St. Annes
- Queen Mary School, Lytham St. Annes
- Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School, Blackburn
- Arnold School, Blackpool
- Loughborough Grammar School
- Loughborough High School for Girls
- Stamford School
- Stamford High School
- Norwich High School for Girls
- King Edward VI Grammar School, Norwich
- Ashville College, Harrogate
- Northampton High School for Girls
- Nottingham High School for Girls
- Oxford High School for Girls
GROSS RECURRENT EXPENDITURE OF LOCAL EDUCATION AUTHORITIES PER 1,000 POPULATION (ESTIMATE) (£ outturn) Financial years 1974–75 1975–76 1976–77 Primary and secondary schools text and library books* 578 716 812 Further education: all expenditure 19,594 25,500 29,481 Education equipment: all expenditure on education and physical education equipment, stationery and materials apart from text and library books 2,118 2,622 2,874 * Additional sums may have been spent on books, for example as part of the capital costs of new schools.
My Department does not produce analyses of the expenditure of individual local education authorities. Some information on expenditure per 1,000 population is contained in the education statis-586W
- Magdalen College School, Oxford
- Abingdon School
- School of St. Helen and St. Katharine, Abingdon
- Shrewsbury High School for Girls
- Culford School, Bury St. Edmunds
- Woodbridge School
- Ipswich High School for Girls
- Framlingham College
- Caterham School
- The King's High School for Girls, Warwick
- Dauntsey's School, West Lavington
- Monmouth School for Boys, Gwent
- Monmouth School for Girls, Gwent
- Howell's School, Cardiff
- Notre Dame, Northampton
- Ladies of Mary, Scarborough
- Dr. Williams' School, Dolgellau
- Ursuline Convent School, Chester