§ Mr. Roper
asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer what is the estimated yield in 1978–79, based on the growth in earnings, prices and output in the latest published Treasury forecast, or on other reasonable assumptions, of increasing, from April 1978, the rates of duty on alcoholic drink to produce with VAT
- (a) a 1p per pint increase in the price of beer,
- (b) a 2p per pint increase in the price of beer,
- (c) a 32p increase per bottle of spirits,
- (d) a 48p increase per bottle of spirits,
- (e) a 5p increase per bottle of wine and fortified wine,
- (f) a 10p increase per bottle of wine and fortified wine.
§ Mr. Robert Sheldon
It is estimated that the revenue would be increased by about (a) £100 million, (b) £200 million, (c) £15 million, (d) £20 million, (e) £20 million and (f) £40 million in a full year. It would be contrary to practice to give estimates for 1978–79 before the Budget.