§ Mr. Fairbairn
asked the Secretary of State for the Environment (1) what was the cost of the visit of himself and his delegation to the Habitat Conference;
(2) what was the duration of the visit of himself and his delegation to the Habitat Conference; how many persons were on the delegation; and who they were.
§ Mr. Shore
The costs incurred in attending the Habitat Conference are not yet available. For an estimate of those costs I refer the hon. and learned Member to the reply given by my right hon. Friend the Member for Grimsby (Mr. Crosland) to the hon. Member for Reigate (Mr. Gardiner) on 7th April 1976.
The composition of the United Kingdom delegation and the duration of their stays in Vancouver was as follows:
Department of the Environment
- Secretary of State for the Environment, 29th May-6th June.
- Dr. W. Burns, Chief Planner, 24th May-12th June.
- Mr. D. Johnson, Deputy Chief Planner, 24th May-12th June.
- Mr. W. Solesbury, Principal Planner, 28th May-12th June.
- Miss B. Hosking, Head of Information Planning, 24th May-12th June.
- Mr. J. Zetter, Delegation Secretary, 22nd May-16th June.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Miss M. Rothwell, First Secretary, 22nd May-12th June.
- Mr. B. Donnell, First Secretary, United Kingdom Mission to the United Nations, New York, 25th May-12th June.
Ministry of Overseas Development
- Mr. K. Osborne, Assistant Secretary, Rural Development Department, 24th May-12th June.
- Dr. Joan Chapman, Population adviser, 28th May-12th June.
- Mr. G. Franklin, Physical (Land Use) Planning adviser, 28th May-12th June.
- Mr. D. Lyddon, Chief Planner, 28th May-12th June.
Northern Ireland Office
- Mr. J. Semple, Assistant Secretary, 28th May-12th June.
- The hon. Member for Aylesbury (Mr. Raison), 1st June-7th June.
- Mr. E. Parkinson, President, Royal Town Planning Institute. Director of Environment and Planning, South Glamorgan County Council, 29th May-12th June.
- Mr. F. Murphy, National Council of Social Service. Chairman of United Kingdom Habitat NGO Committee, 28th May-10th June.
- Mr. G. Sharp, President, Convention of Scottish Local Authorities. Convener, Fife Regional Council, 28th May-11th June.
- Mr. K. Woolmer, Chairman of the Planning and Transportation Committee, Association of Metropolitan Authorities. Deputy Leader, West Yorkshire Metropolitan County Council, 29th May-9th June.
- Mr. E. Lyons, President, Royal Institute of British Architects, 28th May-9th June.
- Mr. M. Ash, Chairman of the Executive, Town and Country Planning Association, 28th May-9th June.
§ Mr. Fairbairn
asked the Secretary of State for the Environment what was the cost of the audio-visual aid film made by his Department for the Habitat Conference; and what was the fee paid for the overseeing of the film.
§ Mr. Shore
The United Kingdom audio-visual contribution consisted of three items; a 26 minute colour film, 2 x 20 minute slide/tape presentations, and 3 x 3 minute trailers for these, all produced in English, French and Spanish language versions. The total cost to public funds was £55,903 which included an element of £7,709 for production controlling duties and allied technical services carried out by Central Office of Information, the Government agency for the production of audio-visual material. Although these items were premiered at the UN Habitat Conference they are now 409W expected to have a five-year life and will be used by British Information Services around the world to demonstrate Britain's experience and expertise in environmental planning.