§ Mr. Watkinson
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services (1) how many 611W social workers there are presently in Gloucestershire;
(2) how many social workers there are presently working in the Forest of Dean; and how many there were in 1975;
(3) how many social workers in Gloucestershire are involved with administration and how many work in the field;
(4) what is the cost in 1976 of the social services department of Gloucestershire County Council.
§ Mr. Deakins
These are matters for the Gloucestershire County Council but the information requested is, I understand, as follows:
(1) The headquarters, Area Office and field social work staff is as follows:
Senior directing, managing, professional and advisory staff 28 Senior social workers (including team leaders) 33 Social Workers 109 Trainee Social Workers 14 Social work assistants 18
(2) The needs of the Forest of Dean are presently covered by one principal social worker, two senior social workers, seven social workers, two social work assistants, two occupational therapists, one of whom is part-time, and two home help district organisers. There are currently two vacancies for social workers. The same establishment applied in 1975 apart from the part-time occupational therapist's post which was created on 1st April 1976, but the actual number of staff in post varied from time to time during the year.
(3) Of the 28 senior directing, managing, professional and advisory staff shown in (1) above, eight are substantially involved in administration. The senior social workers have limited administrative duties whilst the remaining three categories of staff all work entirely with clients.
(4) Net expenditure during the financial year 1976–77 is currently estimated at about £6.9 million.