§ Mr. Hatton
asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science (1) what is the age range of pupils who are at present attending free schools;
(2) how many free schools have been inspected by his Department, particularly with regard to the quality of education being provided;
(3) what his estimate is of the number of pupils at present attending free schools;
(4) what the responsibilities of his Department are in respect of the educational qualifications of regular helpers who are in charge of children attending free schools;
(5) if he will publish in the Official Report a list of free schools which are at present operating.
§ Mr. Armstrong
The free schools listed below, which are at present included in the register of independent schools, are attended by about 100 pupils aged between 2 and 16 years. All the schools have been visited by Her Majesty's inspectors; one has been fully inspected and found to satisfy the conditions, including those relating to instruction, for final registration. Independent schools are required to employ staff capable of providing efficient and suitable instruction for their pupils, but no specific qualifications are prescribed.
- *Balsall Heath Community School, Birmingham, 12.
- *Bermondsey Lamp Post School, London SE1.
- *Freightliners Free School, London N7.
- *Manchester Free School, Manchester 15.
- White Lion Street Free School, London N1.
- *Provisionally registered.