§ Mr. Bishop
asked the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry what companies and subsidiaries are involved in the proposed merger between Boots and House of Fraser.
§ Sir G. Howe
As far as I am aware, the information is as follows:
THE BOOTS COMPANY LTD.
Subsidiaries incorporated in Great Britain
- Boots The Chemist Ltd.
- Boots Pure Drug Co. Ltd.
- Boots International Ltd.
- Boots Farm Sales Ltd.
- Timothy Whites Ltd.
- Whites Property Co. Ltd.
- The Crookes Laboratories Group Ltd.
- Crookes Anestan Ltd.
- Watts Brothers (Manchester) Ltd.
- British Saccharin Sales Co. Ltd.
Subsidiaries incorporated overseas
- Australia—The Boots Company (Australia) Pty. Ltd.
- France—Les Etablissements
- C. David Rabot SA.
- Laboratories Dacour, SA.
- India—The Boots Company (India) Ltd.
- Italy—Boots-Formenti SpA.
- Kenya—Kenya Overseas Co. Ltd.
- New Zealand—Boots The Chemists (New Zealand) Ltd.
- Nigeria—The Boots Company (Nigeria) Ltd.
- Pakistan—The Boots Company (Pakistan) Ltd.
- Singapore—The Boots Company (Far East) Pty. Ltd.
- South Africa—The Boots Company (South Africa) (Pty.) Ltd.
HOUSE OF FRASER LIMITED
Subsidiaries Registered in Scotland
- House of Fraser (Northern Management) Ltd.
- Arthur-Fraser Investments Ltd.
- T. Baird & Sons Ltd.
- Brown Smith & Co. Ltd.
- W. T. Dunbar & Sons Ltd.
- Fras-Air Ltd.
- Frasers (Glasgow) Bank Ltd.
- Gordon & Watson Ltd.
- Hugh Lauder & Co. Ltd.
- McKenzie & Millar Ltd.
- Retail & General Discounting Ltd.
Registered in England
- J. J. Allen and its wholly owned subsidiaries.
- Brights Hotel Ltd.
- Chanelle Ltd.
- Davis, Ridley & Co., Ltd.
- M. & I. Gay Ltd.
- Benjamin Simon & Sons Ltd.
- John Barker & Co. Ltd., and its wholly owned subsidiary.
- John Barker (Construction & Development) Ltd.
- Binns Ltd. and its wholly owned subsidiaries.
- Binns (Grimsby) Ltd.
- Nithco Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
- E. Dingle & Co. Ltd. and its wholly owned subsidiary.
- New Elfordleigh Hotel Ltd.
- Hammond's Ltd. and its wholly owned subsidiary.
- Humber Properties Ltd.
- Harrods Ltd. and its wholly owned subsidiaries.
- Harrods Estate Offices.
- Harrods (Insurance) Ltd.
- Harrods (Knightsbridge) Ltd.
- Harrods (London) Ltd.
- Harrods (Provincial) Ltd.
- Anne Gerrard Ltd.
- Wylie & Co. Ltd.
- James Howell & Co. Ltd. and its wholly owned subsidiary.
- Howell's (Chemists) Ltd.
- Army and Navy Stores Ltd. and its wholly owned subsidiaries.
- William Harvey of Guildford Ltd.
- Harveys of Camberley.
- Army & Navy Stores (Bromley) Ltd.
- Genge & Company Ltd.
- Thomas White & Company Ltd.
- J. D. Morrant Ltd.
- Thomas Clarkson & Sons Ltd.
- Burgis & Colbourne Ltd.
- Artillery Mansions Ltd.
Registered in Northern IrelandRobertson, Ledlie, Ferguson & Co. Ltd.
§ Mr. Bishop
asked the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry if, in his consideration of advice from the Director General of Fair Trading concerning the proposed merger of Boots with House of Fraser and Harrods, he will take account 115W of (1) the extent of consultations held with the trade unions representing the employees of all the companies concerned, and (2) the effect on manufacturers of products purchased by public funds, including the National Health Service.