HC Deb 04 July 1973 vol 859 c119W
Mr. Ashley

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will take steps to enable voluntary organisations which help battered wives and children to become housing associations.

Mr. Channon

Any organisation, including one of the sort described in the hon. Member's Question and which complies with the definition in the Housing Act 1957, can readily become a housing association and the Housing Corporation is ready to advise on any procedural steps needed. Since there are, however, already a great many housing associations catering for a wide variety of persons, organisations contemplating housing provision may prefer to obtain the assistance of an existing housing association with an established structure for housing management.