§ Sir C. Taylor
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what new questions are to be included in the 1971 Census.
§ Mr. Crossman
Following items in the second Schedule of the Census Order are new:
- (a) The year of entry into the United Kingdom of a person not born in the United Kingdom (item 7).
- (b) The countries of birth of the person's parents (item 8).
- (c) The dates of birth of children born alive in marriage to women who are or who have been married (item 11(a)).
- (d) Educational attainments of the standard of G.C.E. "A" level and its Scottish equivalents (item 12(b)).
- (e) The occupation one year before Census day of those in employment during the pre-census week, item 14(a) (viii)).
- (f) Ability to read and write Welsh in returns made in Wales including Monmouthshire, and similarly for Gaelic in returns made in Scotland (items 21, 22, 24 and 25).