§ Sir B. Rhys Williams
asked the President of the Board of Trade who are the members of his Board; when they last met; and when they will next meet.320W
§ Mr. Crosland
I am circulating in the OFFICIAL REPORT a note of the membership of the Board of Trade. The last recorded meeting of the Board as a collective body was held on 23rd December, 1850. I have no present intention of calling another. I have, indeed, considered whether the Board should be abolished. But I am advised that this would involve the exercise by Her Majesty of her Prerogative, an Act of Parliament and an Order in Council; and on the whole there would seem to be more urgent matters to attend to.
The information is as follows:The Board is a Committee of the Privy Council for Trade and Foreign Plantations appointed by an Order in Council of 23rd August, 1786. The members of that Committee appointed by that Order in Council were as follows:
- The Lord Archbishop of Canterbury;
- The first Lord Commissioner of the Treasury;
- The first Lord Commissioner of the Admiralty;
- His Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State;
- The Chancellor and Under Treasurer of the Exchequer; and
- The Speaker of the House of Commons;such members of the Privy Council as hold any of the following offices, viz.:
- The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster;
- The Pay Master or Pay Masters General of His Majesty's Forces;
- The Treasurer of His Majesty's Navy, and
- The Master of His Majesty's Mint;the Speaker of the House of Commons of Ireland and such members of the Privy Council as hold office in the Kingdom of Ireland; and10 named persons.The Right Hon. Lord Hawkesbury was appointed President.The present members of the Board of Trade are the President and the holders (if members of the Privy Council) of such of the offices referred to, as still exist.