HC Deb 25 April 1967 vol 745 cc234-5W
Sir G. Sinclair

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government if he will seek additional powers to enable him to make grants to encourage private landlords to convert old, but structurally sound, houses in the twilight areas of main city centres into flats of acceptable standards.

Mr. Mellish

Private landlords may already obtain grants from local authorities of up to £500 for each flat provided by conversion, and authorities may make loans to cover the balance of the cost. My right hon. Friend is looking at the whole of present legislation affecting older houses to see whether any additional powers are needed.