§ Mr. G. M. Thomson
asked the Secretary of State for Scotland what consideration he has now given to the recommendation, made by the Scottish 220W Advisory Council on Child Care in its Report on the Staffing of Local Authority Children's Departments, that a committee of the advisory council should be appointed to advise him on training for child-care work; and if he will make a statement.
§ Mr. Noble
I have accepted this recommendation, and a Training Committee of the Advisory Council has now been set up. The Chairman is Mrs. E. Verden Anderson, M.B., Ch.B., J.P. The following persons have agreed to serve as members of the Committee:
- Miss Marjorie A. Brown, M.A.
- Rev. A. J. Buchan, M.A.
- H. Fairlie, Esq., M.A., Ed.B.
- Miss E. Glen, S.R.N., S.C.M.
- Dr. Betty Hamilton, L.R.C.P., L.R.C.S., Ed., L.R.F.P.S. Glas., D.P.H.
- Miss G. Hamilton.
- J. T. Henderson, Esq., M.A.
- J. A. Mack, Esq., M.A.
- D. H. Millar, Esq., M.A.
- Professor Ross Mitchell.
- W. Montieth, Esq., M.A.
- Rev. P. J. Murphy.
- Miss J. E. Paterson, M.A., M.S., A.M.I.A.
- Miss A. Sinclair, M.A.
- J. A. Smith, Esq., M.A., Ed.B.
- F. H. Stone, Esq., M.B., M.R.C.P., F.R.F.P.S.
- A. M. Struthers, Esq., O.B.E., B.Sc.
The committee's terms of reference are those suggested in the Advisory Council's Report, namely:
- (1) to exercise continuous supervision over all aspects of training within the Advisory Council's terms of reference.
- (2) To advise in particular on the kinds of training courses required for all grades of existing staff and for
- (a) university recruits to child care officer posts,
- (b) mature recruits to child care officer posts,
- (c) recruits to residential posts.
- (3) To advise on educational requirements and selection of students for admission to courses.
- (4) To advise on qualifications to be awarded on successful completion of courses, and on their recognition for child care work.
- (5) To ensure adequate consultation and co-operation with training in other branches of social work.