§ Mr. Barnes
As provided in the Transport Act, I consulted bodies representative of the appropriate interests specified in section 6 (4) of the Act, and as a result selected the persons whose names have been announced. Also as provided in the Act, I appointed two additional members, and two more selected from persons nominated by the British Transport Commission. I give below a list of members, indicating the interests they represent:
- Alderman J. Fitzgerald, J.P.—Chairman.
- Mr. L. G. Burleigh, M.Inst.T.—Industry and Commerce.
- Mr. H. C. Crane, M.Inst.T.—Industry and Commerce.
- Mr. W. F. Podmore—Industry and Commerce.
- Mr. E. W. Rainer—Industry and Commerce.
- Mr. E. E. Young—Industry and Commerce.
- Mr. A. I. Anderson—Shipping.
- Mr. F. Whittock—Shipping.
- Mr. J. Crowley—Labour.
- Councillor H. J. E. Palethorpe—Labour.
- Councillor G. Allison-Beer—Local Authorities.
- Alderman F. L. Corrick, J.P.—Local Authorities.
- Alderman W. G. Fiske—Local Authorities.
- Councillor A. C. Marshall—Local Authorities.
- Alderman E. A. Wood, J.P.—Local Authorities.
- Mr. J. H. F. Benford—British Transport Commission.
- Mr. K. W. C. Grand—British Transport Commission.
- Mrs. T. Cazalet-Keir—Additional Member.
- Mrs. D. Robinson—Additional Member.
§ Mr. Barnes
Section 6 (9) of the Transport Act, 1947, provides that the Central Transport Consultative Committee shall make an annual report to the Minister of Transport, and the Minister shall lay a copy of that report before each House of Parliament. I shall shortly lay before the House a copy of the report for 1949.