Captain R. Adams
asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether he is now in a position to announce the terms of reference and membership of the committee promised to deal with the closing hours of shops and cognate matters.
§ Mr. Ede
Yes, Sir. My right hon. Friend, the Secretary of State for Scotland and I are appointing a Committee with the following terms of reference:
- (1).To inquire into the provisions of the Shops Acts relating to closing hours (general or local) and to report as soon as possible whether any alterations are desirable:
- (2).To inquire into and make recommendations as to extending, strengthening or modifying:
- (a).the statutory provisions relating to the health, welfare and safety of employed persons at places of employment other than those regulated under the Factories or Mines and Quarries Acts, and
- (b).the statutory regulation of the hours of employment of young persons.
- (3) To inquire into and make recommendations as to the machinery for enforcing statutory provisions within the scope of (1) and (2) above.
For the purposes of particular inquiries into specified branches or aspects of these 1495W matters the membership of sub-committees may be enlarged by the appointment by the Secretary of State of persons with specialised experience or qualifications:
And the Committee may present separate reports on any group of matters within the scope of (2) and (3) above.
Sir Ernest Gowers, G.B.E., K.C.B., has consented to be Chairman, and
The hon. Member for North East Leeds (Miss Bacon),
Mrs. Elizabeth Campbell,
Alderman Sir John Catlow, J.P.,
Miss Mary Ferguson,
Norman Illingworth, Esq.,
The hon. and gallant Member for Argyll (Major McCallum),
The Lady Nathan, J.P.,
G. R. H. Nugent, Esq., J.P.,
H. Plowman, Esq.,
The hon. and gallant Member for Merioneth (Squadron Leader Emrys Roberts),
Andrew J. Shinnie, Esq., M.D., D.P.H.,
J. Storrar, Esq.,
George Symington, Esq., J.P., and Mrs. Barbara Wootton J.P.,
have agreed to serve on the Committee, which will be formally constituted as soon as one further appointment can be made.